Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Close Enough To A Superhero

I have wanted superpowers ever since I've been a child, and was introduces to the whole idea of superheroes.  Over the years I wanted to shoot things from my hands like fire or ice, then it went to teleportaion, super speed, and other faster modes of transportation. But as a growing nerd does, I tried to apply my own skills and focus them to a more practical super power. I wanted mind reading. I got into many situations growing up where mind reading would benefit me. Job interviews, meetings, group projects, classes, and especially dating. So instead of romanticizing and dreaming of mind reading, I decided to find a skill that would get as close as possible with out any gadgetry. The closest avenue was body language. This skill allows one to read a person with out even talking to them. Of course situations must merit proper readings and there are rules that need to be followed when reading someones body language. Body language can seen in the expressions of the face and even the movement or placement of the feet.  This discovery motivated me to focus on the study of behavior and will hopefully one day lead me to a career in the FBI as a deception prevention expert. I will live out my nerdy dreams as I take bad guys down with my observations. Just as a telekinesis mutant in the "X-men" will use their powers for good, I will use my skills for good. 
Joe Navarro: 
Since writing “What Every Body is Saying,” the question I am most often asked is, “What nonverbal behaviors should I be looking for and are they different at home, at work, or in relationships?” Perhaps this will help to clarify the matter.



Somewhere in our hominid past, as with most animals, we developed the ability to communicate nonverbally and that still remains our primary method of communication, especially when it comes to emotions. Charles Darwin first and Paul Ekman much later, have written about the universality of emotions in part because, as Joseph Ledoux has pointed out, these and other survival behaviors are governed by our very elegant limbic brain.

The governance of homeostasis, procreation, emotion, spotting and reacting to threats, as well as assuring our survival, are all heavy responsibilities of the limbic system. Limbic reaction are immediate, sure, time-tested, and honest and apply to us all. Limbic reactions are hard wired in us, part of our paleo-circuits which we can see in the limbic behaviors of children who are born blind. Which is why in every culture, we inch towards the edge of the cliff, and don’t bound over to look. Our limbic brain simply does not allow it. READ MORE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More