Thursday, August 18, 2011

Moon on Moonlighting

From 2009
The science fiction film Moon premiered at select theaters around the country on Friday. I sat down with the movie's director, Duncan Jones, in March to talk about filmmaking, artificial intelligence,philosophy, theory of mind, science fiction, and his childhood. Acondensed rendering of the interview appears in the current issue of Psychology Today. Here's a more complete version. Spoiler alert.



THE INTERVIEW
Matthew Hutson: What would happen if you were stuck on a moon base with yourself?

Duncan Jones: Pretty much [what happened in the movie], because there was a lot of of me in it. A lot of me and Sam [Rockwell, the lead actor]. I grew up as an only child, as did Sam. That's one of the things that we shared that gave us a good starting point for discussing how we were going to do the film. But I think the film kind of asks the question, What would it be like if you met yourself? And over time, I think, I've become pretty okay about myself. But it did take a long time. I'm 38 now so when I was younger I used to have a lot of concerns and I didn't really know my place in the world and it took me a long time to feel comfortable in my own skin.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More